G.I. Joe Will Not Be Political

The background of the whole G.I. Joe mythology, which dates back to World War II, plus all of the military activity (outfits and such…) we’ve seen in the footage released so far, suggests some sort of political angle within the movie. Well, according to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, that’s not the case:“This G.I. Joe has nothing to do with American foreign policy. It’s about a team of skilled operatives fighting an evil organization that’s trying to take over the world. There are no politics in it at all.”Also, when comparisons were brought up between G.I. Joe and Transformers, Bonaventura weighed in with an objection:“Actually, we were working on a G.I. Joe movie long before we did Transformers and our Joe isn’t based on the animated series–it’s based on the comic books that came out in 1982 and 1983.”You wouldn’t expect a G.I. Joe movie that looks as silly as this one does to be chalk full of intelligent commentary on the political world of today. However, it may be expected that politics would play at least some part in it, even if isn’t a major one. It’s kind of encouraging to hear they are going at it as a purely “fun” and action type of movie that you’d want to see - I’m pretty sure the audiences that have been wanting a live-action G.I. Joe for years now aren’t heading to the theater in the hopes for a political lecture.


0 comments:

Post a Comment